1) Athletes With An Intellectual Impairment Across The World Have The Opportunity To Achieve Excellence In Sport And High-
2) We are inspired by the belief that an intellectual impairment should not be a barrier to competing at the highest levels.
3) The International Federation for Athletes with Intellectual Impairments (INAS) helps more than 300,000 of the world’s best athletes compete in a variety of winter and summer sports.
4) INAS organises competitions such as world and regional Championships. We also manage eligibility and classification, working with other International Federations. Three of the sports on our programme – swimming, athletics and table tennis – feature at the Paralympic Games.
5) We promote inclusion of people with intellectual impairments in society and are a member of the International Paralympic Committee. Part of our work involves educating our members on eligibility and classification so that they can develop their athlete pool.
6) INAS was formed in 1986 and has grown to a membership of more than 80 nations across the world. These cover Europe, Africa, Asia, South America, North America and Oceania.
7)Every four years we host the INAS Global Games – the world’s largest elite sports event for athletes with an intellectual impairment. For more information visit the Global Games page.
8) We are a registered as a charity, based in Great Britain. We are supported by a huge volunteer workforce around the world.
9) Our activities in promoting high performance sport for athletes with an intellectual impairment are only possible with the help of fundraising and contributions from our member nations.